Edward Babin and Ellen Bessner presented to Canadian Chapter Workshop "The Future of Professional and Executive Liability: New Legal Precedent"
5 June 2014
March 2014 Newsletter
3 March 2014
- Supreme Court Issues Guidance on Summary Judgment: Hryniak v. Mauldin, 2014 SCC 7
- Justified Dismissal of Investment Advisor for Discretionary Trading: Saturley v. CIBC World Markets Inc., 2013 NSSC 300
- Superior Court Affirms Implied Waiver of Solicitor-Client Privilege: Lamoureux v. Lamoureux, 2014 ONSC 453
- Court of Appeal's Recent Statement on Rectification: McLean v. McLean, 2013 ONCA 788
September 2013 Newsletter
2 September 2013
- Competition Tribunal Dismisses Allegations of Price Maintenance by Visa / Mastercard: Commissioner of Competition v. Visa Canada Corporation and Mastercard International Incorporated (CT-2010-10)
- Guidance on Jurisdiction and Forum Non Conveniens after Van Breda: 2249659 Ontario Ltd. v. Sparkasse Siegen, 2013 ONCA 354
- Developments in the Doctrines of Repudiation and Privity of Contract: Brown v. Belleville (City), 2013 ONCA 148
Edward Babin, Cynthia Spry & Marc Troughton
2 February 2013
"B.C. Court Considers 'Empty Voter' Rights" (2013), 17:4, Corporate Liability 1044.
Cynthia Spry (co-authored)
1 February 2013
"A Breakfast Seminar on the Top Commercial Cases 2012" (presented to The Advocates Society Commercial Practice Group, February 2013)
Edward Babin, Cynthia Spry and Clifford Jackman
30 November 2011
"Ontario Court of Appeal Strikes Claims Against Directors of Junior Mining Company: Insufficient Facts Pled to Ground Personal Duty of Care" (2011) 25: 4, Corporate Liability 989.
Babin Bessner Spry in the News
9 November 2011
Michele Mandel, "Canadian Veterans Victims of Health Care Financial Fiasco", Toronto Sun (9 November 2011).
September 2011 Newsletter
1 September 2011
- Top Legal Fiction
- Supreme Court Clarifies Definition of "Materiality": Sharbern Holding Inc. v. Vancouver Airport Centre Ltd.
- Fraud and a Bank’s Duty of Care: Javitz v. BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc.
- Summary Judgment: Five Appeals to the Ontario Court of Appeal
March 2011 Newsletter
1 March 2011
- The Canadian Securities Act: Is it Constitutional?
- False Advertising: Ontario Courts Show Reluctance to Grant Interlocutory Injunctions Under Section 52 of the Competition Act
- Securities Class Actions: Silver v. Imax
- Damages in Class Actions: Appeal of Smith v. Inco Coming Soon
Click here for Ellen Bessner's publications